SQLServer to Oracle

From: Anupriyo Chakravarti <anu_chak_at_globalnoise.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2001 12:12:50 -0700

This query works in MS SQL Server but not in Oracle 8. Any suggestions how to achieve the samething in Oracle?

SELECT TPARENT.id, TPARENT.name

    (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TPARENT, TCHILD WHERE TCHILD.parentid = TPARENT.id) AS numchildren

    FROM TPARENT Basically, I have two tables TPARENT and TCHILD. TCHILD has a FK parentid to TPARENT.id. I want a list of all parents and the number of children they have.

Any insights would be appreciated.