Re: Wrong number of rows in tkprof?

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 13 Aug 2001 12:11:58 GMT

>The figure that seems to be wrong is
>the 2 beside the sort.
>
>Oracle per 8.1.something generally listed the
>number of rows accessed by each line
>with odd numbers in some places. In the
>latest versions (and I don't know exactly
>when it changed) it lists the number of rows
>supplied to the next step.

Jonathan,

(Un) fortunately, my mother tongue is not english and so, I don't know what you're refering to with 'odd numbers'. odd has, afaik, two meanings: the contrary of even, an adjective of numbers that 1,3,5,7 and so on are part of; or do you mean odd as strange?

>Hence the 6 is the number of rows returned
>after the scan of thing, and the 1 is the
>number of beer rows returned after the scan
>of category and the 2 beside the MERGE is
>the number of rows output from the merge.

This would basically mean that a scan only returns the rows satisfying the relevant condition in the query's where clause. ...Thinking about it, yes, that makes sense....

>I don't know why there is a 2 beside the
>two SORTs - I haven't examined this closely
>since the change, but I would have expected
>it to be 1 and 6 respectively.

After pondering this, yes, me too.

Thanks a lot for this

Rene

--
Recherchen im Schweizerischen Handelsamtsblatt:
http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/SwissCompanies/Search.php3