Re: Problems with interMedia Text "hanging".

From: js <jspaldin_at_iglou.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:01:42 -0400

Your not alone...at my company we are running into the same thing and have opened a TAR with Oracle on the issue.
We started with the issue on 8.1.5 and have taken it up to 8.1.7 patched up. *Still same result...exactly what you described.

It is still being worked..I'll keep you posted if I hear any updates. Best of luck.

jspalding_at_aegonusa.com

John Peterson wrote in message ...
>(Oracle 8.1.7.0.0, Enterprise Edition, on Windows 2000 Professional)
>
>Hello, all!
>
>I am having some trouble indexing a table with interMedia Text (IMT) and am
>completely out of ideas. I thought I'd turn here for some help. :-) (I
>apologize for the extensive cross-posting, but I wasn't sure what forum was
>relevant to IMT.)
>
>I've got a relatively simple table that's roughly the equivalent of:
>
>CREATE TABLE Documents
>(
>DocId NUMBER NOT NULL,
>DocType VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
>Document BLOB NOT NULL
>);
>
>I've got about 130K+ records in this table, which are populated by
documents
>of varying formats (plain-text, HTML, Word, etc.). The sizes are anywhere
>from 10K to 100K (about 35K on average).
>
>When I try to create an IMT index on the table, using the following
command:

>CREATE INDEX MySchema.CTX_Documents
> ON MySchema.Documents(Document) INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT
> PARAMETERS ('MEMORY 65536 FILTER CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER');
>
>The process seems to run fine for a while (say, an hour), then inexplicably
>"hangs". By "hang", I mean that there is no database activity, yet my CPU
>utilization is at 100%. When I look at the offending process that's taking
>all of the CPU resources, I see that it's the CTXHX.EXE program (which I
>think is the INSO filter). This process never seems to recover (I've let
it
>run for over 4 days). During that time, the CPU is pegged and there is no
>database activity from the session that's creating the IMT index.
>
>After I kill the process and start over, I closely watch the
>DR$CTX_Documents$I table. I see that it's getting populated (to around 6M+
>records). However, after a certain value, it gets "hung". I've checked
the
>CTXSYS.DR$INDEX_ERROR table, but there's nothing in it to indicate that
>anything has gone awry. Subsequent attempts always seem to fail at the
same
>point (the same number of records are always written to the
>DR$CTX_Documents$I table). I've bumped up the maximum memory value and
>index creation usage, to no avail.
>
>I'm really at the end of my rope with this one, and I would truly
appreciate
>any comments/thoughts/suggestions that anyone has to offer! Thank you!
:-)