Problems with CTXHX.EXE hanging.

From: John Peterson <johnp_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:00:30 -0700

(This similar to an earlier post, but with more information.)

Problems with CTXHX.EXE hanging.

Hello!

I am having some trouble indexing a table with interMedia Text (IMT) and am completely out of ideas. I thought I'd turn here for some help. :-)

I've got a relatively simple table that's roughly the equivalent of:

CREATE TABLE Documents
(

DocId NUMBER NOT NULL,
DocType VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
Document BLOB NOT NULL
);

I've got about 130K+ records in this table, which are populated by documents of varying formats (plain-text, HTML, Word, etc.). The sizes are anywhere from 10K to 100K (about 50K on average), for a total of about 1G of tablespace used.

When I try to create an IMT index on the table, using the following command:

CREATE INDEX MySchema.CTX_Documents
ON MySchema.Documents(Document) INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT PARAMETERS ('MEMORY 65536 FILTER CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER'); The process seems to run fine for a while (say, an hour), then inexplicably "hangs". By "hang", I mean that there is no database activity, yet my CPU utilization is at 100%. When I look at the offending process that's taking all of the CPU resources, I see that it's the CTXHX.EXE program (which I think is the INSO filter). This process never seems to recover (I've let it run for over 4 days). During that time, the CPU is pegged and there is no database activity from the session that's creating the IMT index.

After I kill the process and start over, I closely watch the DR$CTX_Documents$I table. I see that it's getting populated (to around 6M+ records). However, after a certain value, it gets "hung". I've checked the CTXSYS.DR$INDEX_ERROR table, but there's nothing in it to indicate that anything has gone awry. Subsequent attempts always seem to fail at the same point (the same number of records are always written to the DR$CTX_Documents$I table). I've bumped up the maximum memory value and index creation usage, to no avail.

More information about my setup:

I have successfully installed Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 Enterprise Edition on Windows 2000 Professional with 256M of RAM. I then downloaded and applied the 8.1.7.1.1 patchset. During the patchset application, I was instructed to do the following:

<Quote>
After the installation is complete, invoke SQL*Plus (sqlplus.exe), connect as internal and run the following SQL scripts located in the %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms\admin directory:

· catalog.sql
· catproc.sql
· catrep.sql (only applicable for sites running Oracle Replication)
· utlrp.sql (optional - will recompile all PL/SQL packages now rather than
when accessed for the first time).
</Quote>

Running the above scripts yielded in some errors, that I *believe* are benign. I was occasionally getting stuff like "Object already exists, can't create" and "Object in use, can't drop". Hopefully that's not a problem.

After I finished with 8.1.7.1.1, I downloaded and applied the 8.1.7.1.5 patchset, which I think is the latest available for Windows 2000, without trouble.

Yet, when I try and index my table, it repeatedly fails in the same manner. I have experienced this with 8.1.7.0.0 and 8.1.7.1.5.

A closer examination of the bug lists that are involved in 8.1.7.1.1 and 8.1.7.1.5 (the two that I applied) does *not* seem to indicate that any interMedia Text components were patched. So, I guess I would still expect there to be problems, as it appears to be related to the CTXHX.EXE program
(which is still dated 9/30/2000, the same date as under 8.1.7.0.0).

Perhaps there are some explicit interMedia Text patches that I need to apply?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be *much* appreciated! Received on Sun Aug 12 2001 - 12:00:30 CDT