Re: Problems with interMedia Text "hanging".

From: John Peterson <johnp_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:08:24 -0700

Hello, all!

Well, at the suggestion of Thomas, I've upgraded my Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 installation to 8.1.7.1.5. However, it didn't appear to update any of the interMedia Text components (when I review the bug list).

Sure enough, when I run my tests, it hangs as described previously.

I sure would welcome any thoughts or suggestions! :-)

Regards,

John Peterson

"John Peterson" <johnp_at_azstarnet.com> wrote in message news:tn41jbipj2ae07_at_corp.supernews.com...
> (Oracle 8.1.7.0.0, Enterprise Edition, on Windows 2000 Professional)
>
> Hello, all!
>
> I am having some trouble indexing a table with interMedia Text (IMT) and
 am
> completely out of ideas. I thought I'd turn here for some help. :-) (I
> apologize for the extensive cross-posting, but I wasn't sure what forum
 was
> relevant to IMT.)
>
> I've got a relatively simple table that's roughly the equivalent of:
>
> CREATE TABLE Documents
> (
> DocId NUMBER NOT NULL,
> DocType VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
> Document BLOB NOT NULL
> );
>
> I've got about 130K+ records in this table, which are populated by
 documents
> of varying formats (plain-text, HTML, Word, etc.). The sizes are anywhere
> from 10K to 100K (about 35K on average).
>
> When I try to create an IMT index on the table, using the following
 command:

> CREATE INDEX MySchema.CTX_Documents
> ON MySchema.Documents(Document) INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT
> PARAMETERS ('MEMORY 65536 FILTER CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER');
>
> The process seems to run fine for a while (say, an hour), then
 inexplicably
> "hangs". By "hang", I mean that there is no database activity, yet my CPU
> utilization is at 100%. When I look at the offending process that's
 taking
> all of the CPU resources, I see that it's the CTXHX.EXE program (which I
> think is the INSO filter). This process never seems to recover (I've let
 it
> run for over 4 days). During that time, the CPU is pegged and there is no
> database activity from the session that's creating the IMT index.
>
> After I kill the process and start over, I closely watch the
> DR$CTX_Documents$I table. I see that it's getting populated (to around
 6M+
> records). However, after a certain value, it gets "hung". I've checked
 the
> CTXSYS.DR$INDEX_ERROR table, but there's nothing in it to indicate that
> anything has gone awry. Subsequent attempts always seem to fail at the
 same
> point (the same number of records are always written to the
> DR$CTX_Documents$I table). I've bumped up the maximum memory value and
> index creation usage, to no avail.
>
> I'm really at the end of my rope with this one, and I would truly
 appreciate
> any comments/thoughts/suggestions that anyone has to offer! Thank you!
:-)