Getting started as an Oracle DBA

From: Chris <cmadesignREMOVE_at_REMOVEearthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:30:03 GMT

Hi, I hope this is the correct newsgroup for such posts, I've never been here before. I was hoping someone could point me to some basic information on making a career in this field. Right now my training is in web design and multimedia, but I'm finding that this market is flooded with designers and job openings are sparse, especially on the entry level. And this dotcom crash hasn't made things any better.

I'm looking into other options in the long range. I have questions such as how long does it take to become an Oracle certified professional? Is it difficult to get work at the entry level(this seems to be a problem in all sectors of the IT industry)? Is it best to go through a training course, or is it just as good to study it on your own and take the tests(much cheaper I'd presume)? I'm a total newbie, in act, I know basically nothing about Oracle other than it being database software. I do know that the salaries are good, and I definately want a career in the IT field in some form, so this is something I'm willing to look into.

Can anyone be kind enough to give me some links to research or general information or tips? Any stories on how you got started in the field would help too. I'd would much appreciate it. Thank You.

-Chris Received on Thu Aug 09 2001 - 01:30:03 CDT