Re: Connect By Challenge!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2001 16:45:10 -0700

In article <966fcac1.0108081223.39098cc_at_posting.google.com>, akm111_at_yahoo.com says...

>I'd love some help with this.
>
>Let's say I've got a family tree type of database with:
>
> person, parent, older_sibling
>
>as columns, and I want to output this data in a tree structure. By
>using:
>
> SELECT person, parent, older_sibling
> FROM table_name
> START WITH parent = 'Eve'
> CONNECT BY parent = PRIOR person
>
>I get a tree structure, but the siblings aren't in any particular
>order. I've read that Oracle 9 now has an ORDER SIBLINGS BY option,
>but for now I'm stuck with Oracle 8.
>
>Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get the siblings in
>order?
>
>Thanks a million,
>Amy

yes, 9i has the order siblings by that will solve this once and for all.

Until then, if you have total control over the indexing scheme -- a concatenated index on (parent,older_sibling) -- without any other index with parent on the leading edge -- will probably do it (by accident)

see

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:9212348049