Problems with interMedia Text "hanging".

From: John Peterson <johnp_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:41:25 -0700

(Oracle 8.1.7.0.0, Enterprise Edition, on Windows 2000 Professional)

Hello, all!

I am having some trouble indexing a table with interMedia Text (IMT) and am completely out of ideas. I thought I'd turn here for some help. :-) (I apologize for the extensive cross-posting, but I wasn't sure what forum was relevant to IMT.)

I've got a relatively simple table that's roughly the equivalent of:

CREATE TABLE Documents
(

DocId NUMBER NOT NULL,
DocType VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
Document BLOB NOT NULL
);

I've got about 130K+ records in this table, which are populated by documents of varying formats (plain-text, HTML, Word, etc.). The sizes are anywhere from 10K to 100K (about 35K on average).

When I try to create an IMT index on the table, using the following command:

CREATE INDEX MySchema.CTX_Documents
  ON MySchema.Documents(Document) INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT   PARAMETERS ('MEMORY 65536 FILTER CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER'); The process seems to run fine for a while (say, an hour), then inexplicably "hangs". By "hang", I mean that there is no database activity, yet my CPU utilization is at 100%. When I look at the offending process that's taking all of the CPU resources, I see that it's the CTXHX.EXE program (which I think is the INSO filter). This process never seems to recover (I've let it run for over 4 days). During that time, the CPU is pegged and there is no database activity from the session that's creating the IMT index.

After I kill the process and start over, I closely watch the DR$CTX_Documents$I table. I see that it's getting populated (to around 6M+ records). However, after a certain value, it gets "hung". I've checked the CTXSYS.DR$INDEX_ERROR table, but there's nothing in it to indicate that anything has gone awry. Subsequent attempts always seem to fail at the same point (the same number of records are always written to the DR$CTX_Documents$I table). I've bumped up the maximum memory value and index creation usage, to no avail.

I'm really at the end of my rope with this one, and I would truly appreciate any comments/thoughts/suggestions that anyone has to offer! Thank you! :-)

John Peterson Received on Wed Aug 08 2001 - 22:41:25 CDT