Re: ORA-00257 error

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:00:50 +0200

"Neil Garner" <Jim_at_garner21.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:9kmu7t$9tn$1_at_news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Please help
>
> I am fairly new to oracle, and appreciate any help or advice anyone can
 give
> me. An ORA-00257 error, archiver error. Connect internal only, until
 freed,
> message has been appearing for the last three days. I have established
 that
> this means the archive_log_dest is full and some space needs to be freed.
 Is
> there anything I can do to confirm this?. I have checked the parameter
 file
> and the directory it points too, appears to be empty. What file extension
 is
> used for this purpose?. If this is the case how case the space be freed
 up,
> and is this something I will have to do on a regular basis?

> Neil

Your database must be in archivelog mode and automatic archival is off. ( You can verify this by archive log list) To resolve this try to start with
archive log all (svrmgrl) or alter system archive log all. Then set log_archive_start to true, using the alter system command. Don't forget to edit the init<sid>.ora when done. The line 'log_archive_start=true' is in it. but it is commented out.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Aug 06 2001 - 16:00:50 CDT