Help! - Transfer tables from Oracle into Postgresql

From: Andreas Stellmach <andreasst_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:18:36 -0600

Info:
Oracle 8i (8.1.7) on Linux RedHat 6.2
PostgreSQL 7.1 build with UNICODES support on Linux RedHat 6.2

Oracle ODBC driver version 8.01.73.00
Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle version 2.573.7326.00 Postgres SQL ODBC+ driver version 1.0
MS MDAC 2.6

I need to transfer 170 tables (ca. 8GB) from Oracle 8i into PostgreSQL. I try use the latest version of "pgAdmin", but I get a message from from Oracle, "default username feature not supported" (ORA-01004). I try a different ODBC drivers, but it didn't help. I did try the newest Microsoft DTS utility, and I can connect to Oracle and can create the tables in PostgreSQL, but it can't insert the data from Oracle.
I know, that I could export the tables from Oracle in SQL scripts (f.e. using TODD), modify them and insert into PG using psql, but it's a lot of work and I hope it's easier solution for it.

Any advice welcome.

Thank you,
A.S. Received on Sun Aug 05 2001 - 17:18:36 CDT