Re: Foxpro Conversion

From: Jim Davis <jimdavis_at_iprolink.ch>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 07:28:59 +0200

Steve,

We were in a similar position where I work about 3 years ago: local LAN-based Foxpro 2.6 (Win) application for Human Resources, installed in 5-6 central locations worldwide, then painfully consolidated quarterly.

What we have today is approx. 100 users on a single worldwide system using:

VFP6 front end
communicating thru the LAN -or- thru West-Wind Web Connection (http thru the corporate worldwide intranet) to VFP6 middle-tier accessing all data stored in Oracle database

I've obviously glossed over a lot of details, but this has proved to be highly effective and robust, and has allowed HR to automate lots of processes that were either impossible to do or painstakingly manual before.

Check out west-wind.com for one aspect of the details if this has appeal to you. And /or post additional information / questions to the group.

Jim Davis
IT HR Manager