Re: how to reduce file size to minimum?

From: Patrick Greville-Morris <patrick.greville-morris_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:44:17 +0200

This can be done with the following statement

ALTER TABLESPACE tablespacename COALESCE;

This has the effect of compacting the data stored in the datafile to free up the partially used blocks into a large set of contiguous blocks. Then you can reduce the datafile (.dbf) size until it is close to 100% full WARNING!!! You should start the database in restricted mode to do this to ensure that there are no locks or procedures running.

Have fun

Patrick Greville-Morris
Consultant DBA

+49 (0)69 4980025 (Home)