Re: Database connection from NT throught Novell to Oracle 7.3 at Unix ???

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:37:52 GMT

You will use tcp/ip to connect to the database. ODBC is just a programming interface to a database; it is NOT a network protocol.
You will need to have an Oracle client installed on your machine (no matter what database api you use e.g. ODBC, OCI, Oracle's OLE objects, JDBC , etc.).
Then you will have to configure the tnsnames.ora file (done while you do the Oracle client installation) and know the Unix host name, sid name of the database (DBA should know this), and the port (probably 1521 which is the standard). Also you will need an Oracle database user name and password to log onto the database.

Jim