Re: What's Oracle Forms?

From: Steven Toney <sdtoney_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 08:23:46 -0500

why do you make such blanket statements as this

"> And it is far superior to ASP, VB, ColdFusion, and a host of other
> lesser products."

first -- I'm not a database bigot -- I'm one the persons the authorizes and directs $$ for projects to deliver solutions to requirements

I've seen good and pathetically bad things built with all these tools and I've seen good and bad database solutions for a project in all major DBs and some minor DBs

I find the key to a good project solution is far more often the talent and skills of specific smart people in the use of their chosen tools -- than the tools themselves

I constantly have to tell people that database and software tools from any of these companies do not in themselves produce magic solutions..

you have to pay for people (dbas and programmers that know what they are doing) and life cycle manage the project with proper resources..

sometimes oracle and its software are the answer -- sometimes not..

at the moment - I actually have folks around here in a couple of Air Force organizations doing all the mentioned products.

my preception of the talent/experience to deliver proper projects on time is this

VS/VB/ASP --> Cold Fusion --> Java/Oracle

This is not a reflection per se of the products but the talents of the developers and dba's, which in many cases reflects experience with products.

the more talented/experienced programming and dba folks I interact with are using the other oracle products and have been for a while. The java/oracle folks simply seem less experienced at the moment. It just seems harder for them to do things right now...

The better talent here could actual adapt well to a changing environment

In another place with different people -- the order my be different

steve toney