Re: What is Data warehouse and what is the use

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2001 06:44:57 -0700

"Gowdhaman Rajan" <Gowdham_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<DNJ77.19457$gj1.1944835_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Hi,
> Please tell me What is the Data warehouse and its use?
>
> What is the difference between Oracle 8i and 9i

A data warehouse is in its simpliest form a, ususally large, collection of data used to feed data marts, decision support systems (DSS), and online analytical processing (OLAP) systems with raw data used for analysis. Results would include such things as sales analysis, warranty analysis, etc...

Concepts associated with data warehouses that you can search the newsgroup archives for include Star queries, Star transformations, Dimensions, and Cubes.

Oracle provides a manual devoted to this topic: Oracle 8i Data Warehousing Guide. You will find bits and pieces on the topics I mentioned in the other Oracle manuals (Concepts, DBA Admin, and SQL).

For the 8i vs 9i there was already a thread on this topic in the newsgroup. See the advanced search feature at google or visit technet.oracle.com where you can find a manual on the topic.