Re: undocumented pl/sql syntax

From: Andrew Hardy <nobody_at_spam.from.news.AdvanticaTech.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:11:57 +0100

"Raffaele D'Alba" <raffaele.d'alba_at_snamprogetti.eni.it> wrote in message news:3b5d903f$1_at_adm.eni.it...
> Thank you Andrew,
>
> but I can't find in the oracle documentation, the syntax of these two
> commands and of others; I'm consulting the "PL/SQL User Guide and
> Reference", the "Oracle 7 Server Application Developer's Guide" and the O7
> SQL Reference.

Have a look at User-Defined Subtypes.

> type BOOLEAN is (FALSE, TRUE);

Creating a new composite record.

> or
> subtype POSITIVE is BINARY_INTEGER range 1..2147483647;

Standard subtype, based on BINARY_INTEGER but limited to a specified range.

> type VARCHAR2 is NEW CHAR_BASE; (what is this keyword New?)

This is a special case, I've never used this - I think that it is only used when declaring types based on the _BASE types.

> I've also an othe question I can't give an answer, I need to compare in
 the
> package I said some variables with hex operations (like InData &
> 0x000000ff), can you give me any hints?

There are no built-in hex functions in PL/SQL, you will need to code your own - or trawl the Internet to see where someone has already done this.

Andy Received on Thu Jul 26 2001 - 08:11:57 CDT