Re: Personal Oracle for Win98 Disaster

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:56:55 +0200

"Mark Sayer" <marksayer_99_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3B5EFDFA.30DC84A_at_yahoo.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have Win98 and I installed the Personal Oracle for Win98. I took the
> typical installation path and all defaults thereon. After the seemingly
> succesfull installation, I rebooted and all hell broke loose. The system
> complained about MSVCRT.DLL being linked to a missing file "
> ??2_at_YAPAXI@Z". My system also lost the networking subsystem.
>
> Needless to say I had to re-install everything from scratch.
>
> Does anybody have a clue as to what went wrong?
>
> For those of you who have plans of installing Personal Oracle on Win98,
> be carefull, backup everything before you install this product and
> goodluck
>
> Regards
> Mark

Your experience is atypical, and you must have had a screwed up harddrive before you started installing it.
Do you check your harddrive regularly.
I believe both your concern and your warning are justified for *every* piece of software you install, not for Oracle alone.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jul 25 2001 - 13:56:55 CDT