Re: benchmarking, which statement is faster

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:56:06 +0100

Daniel,

You may want to consider the possibility that your best information, and the information of your DBA group, goes out of date as time passes.

The sensible response to Tom's comments is to be sufficiently suspicious of your 'knowledge' to figure out a test which allows you to determine whether or not things have changed.

In fact it is very easy to show that implicit cursors are faster than explicit cursors on two counts - particularly when the target is a single row fetch.

  1. Fewer recursive calls (factor of 3)
  2. Lower CPU usage

As a further demonstration that the old
explicit/implicit argument is out of date, you will also find that the latch costs of the two strategies are the same.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

Screensaver or Lifesaver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.