working with time calculations...

From: Trainee DBA <xxx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:54:07 +1200

I'm trying to build a simple time keeping application... I'm stuck on basic calculations with time.
I have created a table with 2 date fields, where i want to insert start and stop times.
Later I want to build a view that subtract one from the other and calculate the time in hours and minutes.

My attempt so far of:

insert into timesheet
values ('24-JUL-2001 05:57:00', '24-JUL-2001 09:5:00')

Doesn't seem to work... I get the error:

ERROR at line 2:
ORA-01830: date format picture ends before converting entire input string

The SQLA course covers arithmetic with dates, which I 'm happy enough with... but how do you enter a specific date + time into a date field?

If anybody could offer some help or a better way of doing this Id really appreciate the help. Thanks

Peet Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 06:54:07 CDT