Switching column types from VARCHAR2(4000) to CLOB (and maybe back)

From: Joel Wagler <gardion_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2001 16:23:50 -0700

Hello,

I want to change a table type from VARCHAR2(4000) to CLOB since this would put less of a limit on the amount someone can enter into a database. However, it is not a simple case of

ALTER TABLE sa.TicketDetail Modify (RESOLUTION CLOB);

This responds with

0RA-22858: invalid alteration of datatype

The above ALTER TABLE statement produces an error. In fact the Oracle Documentation makes a specific note that you cannot convert from another Column type to a LOB (CLOB).Is there any way to increase the amount of data for the RESOLUTION Column? Is it possible to copy and past from a VARCHAR2 Column to a CLOB?

Any suggestions on how to increase the storage space would be appreciated. By the way I am using Oracle 8i r3 (8.1.7) Entreprise Edition for Solaris (8).

Joel Received on Mon Jul 23 2001 - 18:23:50 CDT