Re: Request for advice

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:24:22 -0700

D & S wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say that I currently have a DEC AlphaServer 4100 running OpenVMS 7.2-1
> and Oracle 8i. I want to replace this server with some other type of
> machine and I have about 40k to play with. What type of server should I
> look at? An Itanium? A Sun? How about what operating system? Thanks for
> any help - sorry I'm so vague with information, but just looking for a WAG.
>
> - Doug -

Lets say you told us what you were going to do with it? How large a database, how important various forms of hardware and software mirroring, how many users, why heck ... we could tell you something relevant.

But I would definitely look at Sun ... if for no other reason than that is where Oracle produces its initial releases and releases patches first.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Jul 23 2001 - 23:24:22 CDT