Re: Oracle / MS SQLServer - string concatenation & other migration issues

From: Douglas Reay <douglasr_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 23 Jul 2001 10:25:46 +0100 (BST)

BP Margolin <bpmargo_at_attglobal.net> wrote:

> Douglas Reay <douglasr_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> What other gotchas am I likely to come across, and are there any good
>> resources listing the differences between the SQL from different
>> databases?
>>
>> Other things I've noticed differences in so far:
>>
>> * casting
>> * maximum sizes of numbers
>> * dates (how do you specify the exact format you want a data object
>> to be displayed as in SQLServer? eg yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss)
>> * reserved words (eg "full" and "metadata")
>
> I understand that you are looking to have a single code base, but I thought
> that it still might be useful if you had a Microsoft guide to porting from
> Oracle to SQL Server:
>
> http://mspress.microsoft.com/prod/books/4939.htm
>
> CHAPTER 7 Migrating Oracle Databases to SQL Server 2000

Thank you. I'll have a look in our local bookshops.

In the mean time, is there anything on the web? I can't be the first person to have come across this problem; but I havn't found anything so far in my searches. I'd have thought there'd be a FAQ, or a least an archived thread or two recounting experiences.

Douglas

--
Douglas Reay          Matrix House, Cowley Park, Cambridge, CB4 0HH, UK
The Mathworks Ltd.               http://www.mathworks.co.uk/consulting/