Re: Advice on Reporting Tools

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:53:57 GMT

James wrote:

> Reporting is really becomming a drag. I was wondering if I could poll the
> group and see what tools people are using to report. I have been through
> Infomaker, ReportSmith and MS Access and they all have their flaws. The
> bottom line is that is has been it has been about 4-5 years since we
> evaluated any new reporting tools frankly I simply don't know what other
> options I have.
>
> I need something that can handle jpg images
> Something that does not require SQL statements, but will allow their use
> A nice point and click interface would be grand - this is for distribution
> (hopefully)
>
> Any imput would be appreciated. Any reviews or resources that have a URL
> that I can hop over to would also be good.
>
> Gimmie a clue, what are you using and what do you like and dislike about it?

My first choice would be Oracle Reports followed by Crystal. But there are two other solutions worth considering ... Oracle Discoverer and Cognos. Cognos is effectively just another Crystal though it has a far more powerful development environment for creating web based applications (probably something you don't need). Discoverer is marketed by Oracle as an end-user, rather than a developer, tool and might be the ticket.

No matter what tool you choose. Plan time and budget for training. End-users given access to a relational database can always produce reports. Producing reports that mean something is quite another matter.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:53:57 CDT