Re: what advantage for using MTS

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:32:13 GMT

In article <9i7ljl$5591_at_rain.i-cable.com>, "Peter says...

>Dear all,
>
>What advantage for using MTS? If the purpose of my oracle 8i is for web
>users access, can MTS provide a better performance?
>

>Peter

MTS is useful for getting more concurrent users connected to a database then would be possible using a dedicated server configuration. If you need to get a couple of thousand people concurrently logged into your database -- MTS is for you. MTS is generally used on a machine that is maxed out -- yet you need to get more users logged on.

It will not be faster then dedicated server mode, the code path is somewhat longer using MTS.

Your web server probably already is using a connection pool and that is sort of what MTS is like. No sense using two connection pools.