Re: Install Oracle twice?

From: Phil Haigh <phil.haigh_at_fwpharma.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:29:00 GMT

> ...have installed oracle enterprise edition 8.0.5 on my
> windows NT 4.0 machine for my own use/practice (no network involved) And I
> just can't seem to get over the first stage (i.e. getting it to work)
> I was wondering if it needs to be done twice. Did I need to
> log into my PC as 'administrator' then install the server then log in
 again
> to the same machine and log in as my normal network password and then
> install client?

First off, all your installation work should be done as the local administrator. Accept the default oracle home suggested for the server and simply let it install. On completion (if there were no errors) you should have a working server. As far as the client goes, this will go into a seperate directory - this is fine. I'm assuming that 'client' is Oracle Developer/Programmer/Designer or something similar.

> There should be no need to use NET8 as its on my machine -
> should there?

You need Net8, and you will need to make sure that the *TWO* tnsnames.ora files (one for the client install, one for the server install) both contain an entry for the database instance that was created during the installation process. I'm not a DBA so although you may be able to get away with one I tend to do both - and keep them the same - it takes the guesswork out of remembering which should be updated!

> I keep getting a message that the configuration files have
> moved if that's any clue.

I've never seen that before. Did you perform a standard install? Is the client software older (ie released before) that of the server. With Oracle software you should always install the oldest (by date) software first. For example the 8.1.6 database came out after Forms 5/Developer 2.1, so install the database second.

Hope this helps...

Phil Haigh
Oracle Certified Professional - Developer 6/6i Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:29:00 CDT