Re: Oracle & Multiple Inheritance with 9i?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:14:06 GMT

In article <850ffd69.0106190436.6ad06dbc_at_posting.google.com>, chip_at_byhand.net says...

>Hi -
>
>I was wondering what the current state of Objects is in the
>latest and greatest Oracle.
>
>Have they gotten Multiple Inheritance squared away yet?

sure, we don't do it (like many "object" implementations don't do it -- java for example). Thats one right way to do it.

Oracle9i supports single inheritance directly. I guess you could say we do it right.

>Do they have an Object interface that does polymorphic stuff correctly?

you would have to define "correctly".

We support substitutablity, the ability for a supertype container to hold a subtype instance.