Re: diff bewteen 8i and 9i?

From: Randall Roberts <randall_at_filer.org.nospam>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:47:06 GMT

Two things David Austin told us that Howard didn't point out... the INTERNAL account and server manager are actually going away. (According to David, some people have successfully used 8i's server manager... but it hasn't been fully tested).

David talked about KEEP/RECYCLE/DEFAULT only to say that the documentation so far is written on beta software. At this point they're still supporting the multiple pools only for the default block size. But that doesn't mean they won't either get rid of them, or expand the support later.

David also mentioned that 9i is supposed to more fully support ANSI standard SQL. I am hoping that they're going to support scrolling cursors, so we can FETCH NEXT, PRIOR, FIRST, LAST, ABSOLUTE n, and RELATIVE n. Any mention of those Howard? How soon to you think schools participating in the Oracle Education programs will be able to get those 17 chapters?

Best!

Randall