Re: diff bewteen 8i and 9i?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:48:05 GMT

On Thu, 31 May 2001 22:55:42 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>Pining for the DB2 fjords, eh?

Nah! It's good, but not THAT good. DB2 I mean, not the other "flavours". ;-)

>for how long rollback is needed. Anyone who answers "All week" gets sent to
>the back of the class. I think you're supposed to be able to know things
>with slightly greater precision than that!

Allow me an old fart's vent here:

All that's nice and dry when you have control over the app source code/design: in-house development. When you're dealing with the SAPs, Peoplesofts and such of this world, believe me: they're right, ORACLE is wrong. Simple as that. And there's precious little you can do to make it better for you. They simply won't let you touch source or modify their design in any way that truly would help.

I dunno if you're game, but I for one reject the notion of having to dig into 5500 tables, >7000 indexes and 600+ programs in a typical Peoplesoft installation to weed out which one is gonna screw me with ORA-1555! Not my idea of fun, no matter how much of a bits-and-bytes kinda person I'd like to be... :-)

Let's not go into what an upgrade would do to all that hard work!

I'd much rather have a solution from ORACLE that will not cause the problem, period. Dunno if it's possible but it doesn't stop the hope it will happen.

>Yup. As far as I can tell, the requirement for the DBA to know his, her or
>its (I like to be inclusive) application doesn't entirely disappear. So you
>suck it and see, and tune accordingly.

:-) See above.

Cheers
Nuno Souto