HELP NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!! ref : ORA 8i at home

From: Billy <Billy_at_nabeel.worldonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:18:46 +0100

Hi there,
can anyone give a lowly newbie some help and advice please? I am trying to learn dba techniques and tools and I need to install a version of ORACLE 8i on my computer
at home.
At present I am running windows 98(2nd ed), but I understand that to achieve the best practice and to help me learn what I will need to know, that I will have to install 'Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition' as this is what is used by companies in the industry (as personal edition does not have the full functionality.) If this is the case then I understand that I have to change my operating system to windows 2000 or to N.T (?). Can I run n.t on a stand alone pc at home which is not part of a network? Or would loading windows 2000 be better? I have never used Unix so do not know much about their operating system.
If there are any other possibilities please advise which would be the best option for me.
Also what is the best way to get hold off a copy of the full version of 8i, unfortunately I have a slow internet connection. What is the difference between the trial version and a full version? Does the trial version mean it only works for a short period of time? Thanks for any help or advice in advance. Billy. Received on Fri Jul 20 2001 - 11:18:46 CDT