Re: How to copy an instance on same unix server?

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:35:53 +0100

-----Original Message-----

From: mwallace [mailto:noway_at_mycomp.oth.org] Posted At: Friday, July 20, 2001 12:09 PM Posted To: server
Conversation: How to copy an instance on same unix server? Subject: Re: How to copy an instance on same unix server?

I use database cloning for our environment, but don't use your method. ie. backup control file to trace etc.etc.etc.

I use the following ...
1. I shutdown the database,
2. copy all database files at the operating system level to the new location,

3. Make sure the parameter file for this new location is setup.
4. startup nomount
5. create controlfile reuse set database .....
6. alter database open resetlogs
7. alter database rename global_name to ...

What are your thoughts with regards to this...? Have been using it for a while and is very clean and simple....

Regards
Mark

Mark,

basically the alter database backup controlfile to trace stuff creates a script that does a create controlfile reuse ... which is the command you type in manually.

I prefer to edit the script file rather than type it in, but we all have our likes & dislikes.

Regrads,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar		EMail:	NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	Fax:	0113 201 7265
			URL:	http://www.LynxFinancialSystems.com