Re: Connect via Oracle Provider for OLE DB from Visual Basic CRASHES

From: Mark Fry <mark.fry_at_acnielsen.co.uk>
Date: 19 Jul 2001 09:48:47 -0700

Hi,

     I think I have a very similar problem. A VB 6 program that connects to an Oracle 8.1.6 database fine from one NT4 workstation (where there is only one Oracle Home, for 8.1.6 Client programs), fails to connect to the same database from my NT4 (SP5?) workstation when using the MSDAORA OLE-DB provider. The same VB program works fine when using the Oracle-supplied OLE-DB provider, but that causes other problems.

I have discovered that I have two Oracle Homes on my machine - one is for the 8.1.6 client, and the other is an old OraNT 7.3.4 installation from a previous user. So far, two attempts to uninstall the OraNT Home have failed, so I think I'm stuck with it for the time being.

Could you tell me more about using a TNS_ADMIN Registry key to persuade MSDAORA to use my 8i Home, please?

Cheers

     Mark Fry