Re: Connection dropped on long remote DB link

From: GREGORY KNESER <gregoryk_at_futures.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: 18 Jul 2001 17:31:18 GMT

Sybrand Bakker (postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl) wrote:
: 1 a shitty network connection? Did you check the reliability of the network
: connection.
: If not, try at least to use ping and traceroute (name is platform dependent,
: and you don't mention it) to check this out.

We are using WinNT4.0 I'm not sure what the other side is. I will check this out.

: 2 I would recommend using a dedicated line. The internet is simply too
: unreliable, and only one node has to run with a low bandwith to bring your
: connection to a crawl.
: In the end a dedicated line will be cheaper.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check to see how fast/reliable the connection is.

Is there some other method other than what we're using to get this data? We've tried using the ETL tool from SQL server using OLEDB connections into each machine and this is surprisingly much faster. I noticed that 9i has a native ETL tool. Has anyone used this? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Greg Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 12:31:18 CDT