Re: Oracle Memory leakage

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:30:06 +0200

"Rok Kodrun" <rok.kodrun_at_uni-lj.si> wrote in message news:9j3ksn$vde$1_at_goodnews.ijs.si...
> Hi
> Well, for the purpuse we use this PC - it worked well. We have 3 just the
> same PCs as this one. And only this one has problems. The database is
 small,
> part of distributed database.
> All other machines work fine with 64Mb RAM. OK, it would be nice to have
> more but... You know how complicated it is to convince the client to pay
 for
> more memory.... :(
> But still, for doing nothing, 64 mb memory should be enough. I never
 heared,
> that Oracle keeps on eating memory! Nothing is connected, nothing is
> running, except Oracle73 process but the memory usage is increasing....
 What
> could THAT be?!
>
> Rok
>

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rok Kodrun" <rok.kodrun_at_uni-lj.si> wrote in message
> > > Oracle Memory leakage
> > >
> > > I have a Oracle7.3 workgroup server on Win NT 4.0 SP 6 which is using
 more
> > > and more memory - in two days it fills up all the system memory (64mb)
 and
> > > virtual memory.
> > >
> > > After reboot no other application is runing except from ORACLE server
 (and
> > > there are no other apps connected to Oracle server). Using NT
 Performance
> > > Monitor I checked Private Bytes & Virtual Bytes usage of ORACLE73.EXE
> > > process. Memory usage is gradually raising until it fills up all the
> > > resources!!
> > >
> > > I checked the sessions on the server, there are none other then those
 few
> > > system sessions.
> > > I also checked the V_OPEN_CURSORS view, and it shows no open cursors
 (except
> > > itself).
> > >
> > > Any idea what's going on? Has anybody ever encountered same sort of
> > > problems? Any other solution than reinstalation of NT/Oracle server?
> > >
> > > Rok Kodrun
> > > CT2
> > > "Jo¾ef Stefan" Institute
> > > Slovenia
> > >

> > Using 64 Mb for any Oracle database is just ridiculous.
> >
> > Upgrade to 256 Mb at least
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

There are several background threads that poll the database every few seconds.
The database is not doing nothing.
Due to the usual Microsux virtual memory handling, memory usage will increase (on many platforms a dealloc system call to free memory doesn't really free it)
As for not being capable of getting more memory: that decision is the same league as continuing to use Oracle 7.3.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 14:30:06 CDT