Re: How to remove a datafile from the tablespace?

From: Ganesh Kamath <ganesh.kamath_at_in.bosch.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:53:51 +0530

As you suggested I don't want to try. I am scared to drop this tablespace because it is system created during Oracle installation. Let me keep that datafile (it is only 10MB file).

Thanks for all the information.

Ganesh Kamath.

"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:9j4ci202h7l_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <9j4aj3$cfl3_at_ctmsun0.macau.ctm.net>, "Little says...
> >
> >Try the following
> >1. Alter database datafile 'xxx.dbf' offline drop;
> >2. You may need to remove the datafile manually (I'm not sure. Try
 yourself)

> Don't "try" things you don't understand!
> If you do that, your only recourse is to drop the tablespace (explicitly
state "i do not want to drop the tablespace") fact is, once added, a file is part of a database until you drop the tablespace it is part of.
You can move it, you can resize it (shrink it way down) but you aren't going to get rid of it.
 see
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:515222144 417
 for more info.
Regards,