Re: Oracle 8i + Firewall

From: Andrew Hardy <nobody_at_spam.from.news.AdvanticaTech.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:54:35 +0100

"Christian Greven" <greven.christian_at_baufeldt.de> wrote in message news:euimi9.o5a.ln_at_webserv.local...
> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***
>
> Hi!
>
> Our customer want's to connect to the Oracle db (8.1.7) through a
 firewall.
> Wich ports are used? Who can give me some usefull hints?

It's going to be fairly horrendous - by default Oracle will give each user a unique port number for their session (once the conversation has been started on the ports listed in the TNSNAMES.ORA), making it difficult to control on the firewall.

You can tell Oracle to re-use the port numbers in NT by setting the registry key USE_SHARED_SOCKET = TRUE. You could use Oracle Connection Manager outside of your firewall, or use a firewall that understands SQL*Net and so only opens ports to that.

Andy Received on Mon Jul 16 2001 - 08:54:35 CDT