Re: Statements: DML or DDL?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2001 06:02:58 -0700

In article <vqX27.7973$B5.312997_at_monolith.news.easynet.net>, "Benetnasch" says...

>Could anyone please tell me whether the following
>statements are DML or DDL:
>
>CREATE INDEX (DDL, I think)
>ALTER TABLE (DDL, I think)
>SET CONSTRAINT
>SET ROLE
>SET TRANSACTION

see
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76989/introsq2.htm#999871

there are:

Data Definition Language (DDL) Statements Data Manipulation Language (DML) Statements Transaction Control Statements
Session Control Statements
System Control Statements

the create/alert = ddl. the set = session control

>Thanks.
>
>Also, will a S lock allow a RX lock on the same
>table at the same time?

See the server concepts, chapter 24, "how oracle locks data/types of locks", there is a table there that shows what is permitted when.

A S (share) lock on a table will not permit a RX (row exclusive)