Need Oracle Consulting Services

From: Roger Baer <roger_baer_at_agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:14:35 -0600

I manage a team of database system administrators who provide operational support for 600+ Oracle databases.

We are doing quite well with the staff we have. However, our application teams' managers are putting strong pressure on me to contract with a
"consultant" to be available for the real tough problems. The idea would be
to get a consultant that understands Oracle DBMS software operations AND can consult with application development and support teams regarding efficient SQL coding, database schema design, etc.

I investigated Oracle's ExpertONSITE Support Services but I want to understand how other large companies are acquiring and providing this type of consulting service within their IT organizations. The goal is to expedite software problem resolution and to speed our DBA's through any
"learning experiences" they may encounter. As a manager, I am also
concerned with getting the best value for the company's money.

Any input would be appreciated!

Roger

P.S. Editorial comment here: Unless we have a person on my team with the title "consultant", other IT professionals don't tend to listen to our technical recommendations. This attitude frustrates my team members and me, but it just seems to be a fact of life. Received on Tue Jul 03 2001 - 13:14:35 CDT