Re: Oracle and Access

From: Sean Keplinger <someone_at_shell.one.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 14:24:39 -0000

Mark Hannay <mhannay_at_cartech.com> wrote:

> My largest table is about 500,000 records.

Oh. Back when I was doing traffic analysis for application profiling, we noticed that Access -> Oracle connections over a WAN and even sometimes over the LAN could slow the network to a crawl because of the inefficient way that Access pulls records from Oracle linked tables.

When we applied the same tests to Oracle pass-through queries in Access, we noticed a considerable difference in the amount of network traffic transmitted.

Bottom line: It may not effect you now, but it will in the future when you're reaching 1-2 million records. Do yourself a favor and switch to pass-through queries instead.

Sean

--
  __ _
 /  ('>-  Sean Keplinger             | $ man life