Help !!!Replication Solution needed !!

From: saratha <ssubramanian_at_mcleodusa.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2001 11:00:34 -0700

Hi,
I have two major database sites running oracle 8.1.6 on SUn boxes. I need to create a new site combining selected data from the two major sites. (5 tables from master site A-using join condition) and 1 or 2 tables from master site B. We are planning to refresh once a day to start with.
As of now, the tables may contain at the maximum of 5000 rows. Over a period of year foll is the growth estimate on all the tables involved in in creating the snapshot.

Master Site A                              Master  Site B
Table A - 50,000                          Table A  - 50,0000
Table B - 2,000000                        Table B  - 100,000
Table C - 1000

Table D - 2000
Table e - 50,000

Snapshot Site C
Table A - result of a join from Master site A - 50,000 Table B - resulty of a join from Master site B - 2000000

I will have to use a complex snapshot, to combine data from more than one table and populate it in the snapshot site. I guess, the complex snapshots cannot do a fast refresh from the snapshot log and have to use complete refresh. Is this true?

How would i keep the transactions concurrent on the snapshot site with two master tables, from different sites. Can we create refreshing group containing
tables from different databases(meaning non colocated databases) ??

We do not want to go for a custom oracle package which could run on a periodic intervals, Thus having snapshots as our only solution.

What will be the best approach
as to follwo the simple snapshot and replicate tableA,B,C,D,E from master site A and Table A,B from Master site B. and form a final views (2) on the local database against which the reporting users can access.(any performance hit??)
Or
Form a complex snapshot and allow a comlpete refresh every day midnight.
Would there be any performance improvement on this way?

I will apprecidate any suggestions to solve this problem. Since we need this urgent, any inputs will be very much helpful.

Thanks in advance
Saratha Received on Mon Jul 02 2001 - 13:00:34 CDT