Re: Personal Oracle 8i & password - NOT SAME OLD QUESTION

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 21:57:38 -0700

Brad Leach wrote:

> Okay, I must plead ignorance. How do I check the environment variables?
>
> TIA,
> Brad
>
> "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Brad26 wrote:
> >
> > > I am running Personal Oracle 8i and SQL*Plus release 8.1.6.0.0.
> > > After successfully completing installation, starting the database and
 the
> > > listener, I attempted to log onto SQL. No luck. None of the original
> > > system passwords worked (I am running PO8i on a standalone Windows PC,
 so
> > > I left the host string field empty). I tried all of these:
> > > User Name User Password
> > > SCOTT TIGER
> > > SYSTEM MANAGER
> > > SYS CHANGE_ON_INSTALL
> > > DEMO DEMO
> > > PO8 PO8
> > >
> > > And none of them worked. I would get 3 attempts, and then SQL would
 close.
> > > The error message each time is:
> > >
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-01030 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress.
> > >
> > > SQL*Plus release 8.1.6.0.0
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Brad26
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Looks to me like you have a configuration issue.
> >
> > And according to metalink ORA-01030 does not correspond to the error
 message
> > you provided.
> >
> > Please verify the ORA message and number and look at the environment
 variables
> > ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME to see if they are pointing correctly.
> >
> > Daniel A. Morgan

If you can get to a DOS or command (CMD) prompt type the word SET. In WinNT or Win2000 they are displayed in the CONTROL PANEL under SYSTEM. There is probably something similar on your system.

I hate to ask this question ... but before you installed the product did you read the readme file? Oracle products really require reading the instructions and following them to configure them properly.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jun 30 2001 - 23:57:38 CDT