Re: Personal Oracle 8i & password - NOT SAME OLD QUESTION

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 18:59:11 -0700

Brad26 wrote:

> I am running Personal Oracle 8i and SQL*Plus release 8.1.6.0.0.
> After successfully completing installation, starting the database and the
> listener, I attempted to log onto SQL. No luck. None of the original
> system passwords worked (I am running PO8i on a standalone Windows PC, so
> I left the host string field empty). I tried all of these:
> User Name User Password
> SCOTT TIGER
> SYSTEM MANAGER
> SYS CHANGE_ON_INSTALL
> DEMO DEMO
> PO8 PO8
>
> And none of them worked. I would get 3 attempts, and then SQL would close.
> The error message each time is:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-01030 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress.
>
> SQL*Plus release 8.1.6.0.0
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Brad26
>
> --

Looks to me like you have a configuration issue.

And according to metalink ORA-01030 does not correspond to the error message you provided.

Please verify the ORA message and number and look at the environment variables ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME to see if they are pointing correctly.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jun 30 2001 - 20:59:11 CDT