Re: Oracle Begineer from SQL Server DBA

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:36:18 +0100

I guess you'll get a lot of conflicting advice on this one.

I'd say that you will do just fine, but that it will be a steep learning curve. The principles of data storage access and management are well known and fundamental to all RDBMS's, however the implementation and even terminology is very different. So for example what you as a SQL Server DBA call a database is not what I as an Oracle DBA would call a database. This sort of confusion of terminology and implementation details often shows up in this group as what appear to be misguided questions from people from an MS background. Never the less just as a good programmer can know two or three different languages , and choose the appropriate one for the job, a good DBA ought to be able to know two or so DBMS. I rather suspect as well that you will lose a *lot* of your own time getting to grips with oracle. I'd give it a year or so before you were familiar enough with Oracle to implement production datastores on it.

If you still wish to proceed then Oracle Education classes are expensive but well well worth it. See if you can get lucent to spring for them.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"frank" <frankw_at_qd.lucent.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I am a SQL Server DBA, and want to use Oracle as our future database, I
want
> to know how hard it will be to get familiar with oracle if I am a SQL
Server