Re: Getting SELECTED output into a front-end screen

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:06:07 -0700

Benetnasch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an Oracle 7 database with a VB front end.
>
> A lot of the processing I'm doing is written on the
> server in PL/SQL blocks, but some of it I've had to
> write on the client-side & return the result through
> a recordset (eg simple SELECT statements showing
> COUNT & SUM of transactions in a table).
>
> Is there any way I can write a block of code on the
> server which achieves the same output which I could
> then pass back to the client without resorting to
> putting values into temporary tables & the like?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Benetnasch

There are ugly ways of accomplishing this in version 7 ... but version 7 is so obsolete it is hardly worth the trouble.

Upgrade to 8.1.7 and you can return a REF CURSOR from a procedure that will in a single PL/SQL statement do exactly what you want.

In addition it will also greatly enhance your resume.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Jun 25 2001 - 14:06:07 CDT