Re: locally managed tablespace

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:22:26 -0700

"m.mueller" wrote:

> >> Currently I'm studying space managment in tablespaces.
> >> I'm not quite sure if I understand the concept ( my questiom may sound
> >> very basic).
> >> Locally managed tablespaces offers o lot of advantages, compared to the
> >> default dictionary managed method.
> >> Furthermore since Oracle 8.1 I'm able to create a Database with a
> >> locally managed SYSTEM tablespace, not only some tablesspaces (eg DATA),
> >> if I correctly understand the Administrator's Guide.
> >> Are there any reasons (advantages) in dictionary managed tablespaces if
> >> I don't have to worry about backward compatabilities? (revert to a
> >> Oracle version prior 8.1)
> >> Any suggestions are welcome.
> >> Thank's a lot and have a nice day
> >>
> >> Manuela Mueller

> >You can not crate a locally managed SYSTEM tablespace. Granted the docs on
> >technet say that ... but it is not possible.

> >Threre are no known advantages to dictionary managed tablespaces except the
> >single case, above, where one is still mandatory.

> >Backward compatibility is not an issue.

> >Daniel A. Morgan
>
> Thank's a lot, I've tried it with 'uniform size' and 'autoallocate' and
> got error messages.
> a) with autoallocate
> CREATE DATABASE local01
> LOGFILE
> GROUP 1 ('/mnt/ora8_1_7/oradata/local01/log1a.rdo',
> '/mnt/ora8_1_7/oradata/local01/log1b.rdo') SIZE 50 K,
> GROUP 2 ('/mnt/ora8_1_7/oradata/local01/log2a.rdo',
> '/mnt/ora8_1_7/oradata/local01/log2b.rdo') SIZE 50 K
> MAXLOGFILES 5
> MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
> DATAFILE '/mnt/ora8_1_7/oradata/local01/system01.dbf' SIZE 30 M
> EXTENT MANAGMENT LOCAL AUTOALLOCATE
> MAXDATAFILES 15
> CHARACTER SET US7ASCII;
> error message:
> EXTENT MANAGMENT LOCAL AUTOALLOCATE
> *
> ERROR at line 8:
> ORA-02165: invalid option for CREATE DATABASE
>
> b) with 'uniform size'
> ... DATAFILE '/mnt/ora8_1_7/oradata/local01/system01.dbf' SIZE 30
> M...
> error message:
> EXTENT MANAGMENT LOCAL AUTOALLOCATE
> *
> ERROR at line 8:
> ORA-02165: invalid option for CREATE DATABASE
>
> In Administrator's Guide the possibility of a locally managed SYSTEM
> tablespace is mentioned and I'm directed to SQL Reference.
> The SQL Reference didn't describe this possibility.
> I naively believed the Administrator's Guide, it sounds too good...
>
> Manuela Mueller

Oracle is not like SQL Server and other non-industrial strength products. You can not get anywhere beyond hacking with the product without reading the manuals (be they in print, HTML, or PDF). But it is equally true that no company's manuals are perfect. Planned features may not make it into the release and the people writing the document may not be notified in time. And lets be honest here ... all manuals have their weaknesses too. So in this case the Oracle docs are incorrect. But don't take this to mean "ignore the docs" as they are absolutely essential.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Jun 25 2001 - 00:22:26 CDT