Re: Database creation using multiple mount points

From: Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:21:01 GMT

Hey;

The purpose for putting data files on separate mount points is to separate the I/O across multiple disks. As Dan Morgan says, if you have only one hard drive, creating multiple mount points will do nothing other than give you practice with Redhat's fdisk and newfs commands.

The Oracle 8i DBA Handbook talks about Oracle Flexible Architecture in some depth. OFA is the standard for which filesystems should be created where. I have a very brief summary of the suggested tablespaces on my lessons learned site - http://people.ce.mediaone.net/dkoleary/ll.html. That will redirect you from MediaOne's systems to my linux box. The link you're looking for is titled Oracle Flexible Architecture 3rd up from the bottom of the third column of the Oracle section. Please note that this is just a list of the common sense rules for creating tablespaces and a list of the recommendations. You should read the relevant sections of the Oracle 8i DBA handbook for the detail behind OFA.

HTH; Doug

--
Douglas K. O'Leary