Re: Just Installed But Now Shrugging

From: Michael B. Allen <mballen_at_erols.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2001 20:37:58 GMT

Spencer wrote:
>The Oracle Documentation is indispensable, but it is not really
>organized step-by-step for the beginner. Do read the Concepts
>guide. It will give you part of the foundation (terminology and

I have this book! It's the Oracle 7 Concepts one.

>"Oracle: the Complete Reference" Koch and Loney is a good
>text... Reference, yes. Complete, not quite. It does cover the
>basics.

Ok, sounds like this is what I'm going to get then.

>I'd suggest you keep an annotated log of all of the SQL statements
>that you run... why you ran which statements, and what worked and
>what didn't. There is absolutely no substitute for the experience you
>are gaining.

This is great advice. It's exactly the kind of stuff I want to know about. One time I wrote a stack.c program and posted it on comp.lang.c. People commented on semantics, style, to typedef or not to typedef ...etc. I would make changes and post the result. The thread was 20-30 posts and I learned a great deal about writing c and good c programming style from writing that seemingly trivial 100 line stack module. I think the subject was "How to Write the Perfect C Program" or something like that. I love Usenet :~)

>As for mount points and file system layouts, there are two fundamental
>reasons for using multiple disk drives, file systems and mount points:
>recoverability (the ability to "recover" the database in the event of a
>failure) and improved performance (effectively distributing i/o across
>the available controllers and disks.)

Clear enough. I suspect it take a lot of expience to know exactly how to partition all the data though; I'll leave this stuff for later.

>a few suggestions:
>
>for "normal" work, do NOT use the SYS userid... only use SYS
>for running the /rdbms/admin scripts that require these to be
>run as SYS.

I've been wondering what the difference between all these accounts are:

internal

sys/manager
sys/manager as sysdba
sys/manager as dbaoper
system/change_on_install

system/change_on_install as sysdba
system/change_on_install as dbaoper

>change the default tablespace for users other than SYS to
>something other than SYSTEM (e.g. USERS or TOOLS)
>do not create user objects in the SYSTEM tablespace.

Yes, sqlplus barked at me for trying to create a table in the SYSTEM tablespace. Are the USERS and TOOLS common tablespace names to use? I suspect USERS is for users to run standard SQL queries in and TOOLS would be where support procedures and functions are loaded?

>here are a few more statements to get you started:

This is great. This is right at my level. I have been mucking about with these kind of things quite a bit.

My immediate issue is creating public rollback segments so I can actually UPDATE a table with some data. I think I need to use the rollback_segments = (name1, name2), transactions = 40, transactions_per_rollback_segment = 5 directives in my initSID.ora and recreate the database.

This has been very helpfull. I think I'm at a point where I should put NPR on low, find a comfortable chair, and do some serious reading.

Thanks,
Mike Received on Sat Jun 23 2001 - 15:37:58 CDT