Re: Need beginner help !!

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:03:04 GMT

Management Server is available under Custom Install from the Oracle Installer.

The concept of the management server is sometimes strange - it introduces N tier computing to Oracle administration and people sometimes get lost in that. Simplified (and not necessarily 100% accurate, more for the sake of explanation), consider:

Administration Client (Web Browser or OEM Console on Windows)   accesses
Management Server (on Windows)
  stores in
Database Instance (anywwhere, but frrequently same machine as Management Server)

  collects data from
Agents (installed at machines being managed)   which interrogate services from (and initiate fix routines on) Instances, Databases, Listeners, Application Service & services

The Management Server on Windows is a separate Service (Control Panel > Services). This must be started separately and I've found that it can take severl minutes to finish initializing once started. First time in, you need to point it to an Instance that it will use as persistent store; this implies that a database instance is already set up, running and accessible via Net8. It will set up the appropriate schema under a special userid.

You will probably want to run the Console, the Management Server and the Management Database Instance on the same machine. Note that the OEM management of the instance it uses as the persistent store is, of course, limited in some ways (it tries to be the store for itself, so some tasks, like shut down are tricky <g>).

Once you've got to that point, the online help is usually sufficient to get you to the basic operations, and the related tuitorials are good to help through some of the more complex points.

More than that - the installation manuals, etc. are on http://technet.oracle.com
> Documentation > Entrrprise Manager and Management Packs link

HTH
/Hans

"martin.catherall" wrote:

> hello, i have a similar problem but the usernames that you escribe below
> will not open dba studio.
> it says that you must set up a management server. how is this done please.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > I'm afraid you are going to be flamed for this - especially since we see
 this
> > type of question a lot.
> >
> > Oracle database is not an easy thing for a new person to get started with.
 The
> > set up is moderately complex (especially when compared to traditional
 Windows
> > software) and it takes a reasonable committment to maintain. This is the
 price
> > for having a professional database. (An analogy is a Ford Tempo vs
 Formula 1 -