SQL*Net on GNU/Linux Problem

From: Pete Ritter <pete.ritter_at_flukenetworks.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:32:50 -0500

I have installed and configured Oracle 8i clients on my local GNU/Linux box. I want to connect to a remote Oracle 8i on HPUX via PPP.

The connectivity test in netasst on my local box is successful, with both the default uid/passwd and the ones I use in the sqlplus commands mentioned following. There is activity on the modem lights, so I know the connection is going thru the PPP link. If I telnet to the remote box and enter

        sqlplus user/passwd_at_service_name I get connected so I know the listener and the instance are running.

If on my local box I enter the same sqlplus command, I get

        ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

If on my local box I use

        tnsping service_name
I get

        TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name In neither case do I see activity on the modem lights.

I can ping the remote box from the local box, again, it goes through the PPP link.

Anyone have ideas on what I'm doing wrong? If netasst test on the local and sqlplus on the remote succeed but tnsping and sqlplus on the local fail, what's wrong?

Thanks for any help. Received on Fri Jun 22 2001 - 13:32:50 CDT