Re: Changing password

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2001 12:46:08 -0700

"Clemens Hoffmann" <choffmann_at_heeg.de> wrote in message news:<9gvgo4$15g$1_at_charly.heeg.de>...
> Hi,
>
> when changing the password of the connected user
> twice in one session (witout reconnecting to the databse)
> using
>
> alter user <user_name> identified by <password>
>
> the password gets corrupted and it is not possible
> to login with this user and the second password.
>
> I know that this is a bug in our application. We changed
> it that the application automatically reconnects to the database
> when the password is changed.
>
> I just want to know what happened to the password
> when calling alter user twice in the same session.
> We user 8.1.6.
>
> Clemens Hoffmann

On 8.1.7 I was able to connect to a user, alter the password, alter the password again, execute a query, logoff, and log by on without error.

There should be no problem changing the password twice in one session.  I have done it before in earlier versions without error (other than not changing the id to the right password to begin with).

Are you using ODBC to connect to the database? Perhaps the problem is related to how ODBC works rather than Oracle.