Re: Database creation using multiple mount points

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:28:51 -0700

Peggy Rine wrote:

> I recently installed Oracle 8.1.7 on a machine running Red Hat 6.0.
> It was my first attempt at installing Oracle, and I was installing it on
>
> a relatively small hard drive, so I decided to opt for the one mount
> point option that is described in most of the online step-by-step help.
>
> I am preparing to repeat the installation, this time on a much larger
> (15GB) drive. I am thinking that it would probably be better to
> set up several mount points (u01, u02, u03, u04). I understand
> that one of the mounts will hold the software & the other 3 will
> be used for the database files. The last time I installed Oracle,
> I used dbassist only up to the point where I was given the option
> to save the shell script. Then I modified & ran the start-up scripts.
>
> I am unsure of how Oracle will know which files to put under
> which mounts. Any help --- or any direction to documentation
> that addresses this --- would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Peggy Rine
> prine_at_sirinet.net
> peggy.rine_at_fscxcorp.com

I'm unsure what you are asking. The build script for tablespaces must hardcode the location of log files and tablespaces. The initSID.ora must hard code the location of the control files.

If you only have a single hard disk multiple mount points are meaningless. If you have multiple physical disks spreading out the I/O is highly recommended and do so following Oracle's guidelines such as tablespaces for data and indexes on separate physical devices.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Fri Jun 22 2001 - 19:28:51 CDT